Sunday 29 November 2015

First Sunday of Advent

Hallo

Today I experienced a new tradition, First Sunday of Advent. For me it´s a quite new thing, in Finland I never really had anything special at that day. I can´t remember, if we had something like that when I was a child.
Now here in Switzerland, for my "new" family, Advent has been a small tradition in many many years, for them it means spending time together and doing something together, like Christmas decorations, cooking, eating etc. And I like the idea that even when childrens are getting older, they still have that tradition. Yesterday and today we baked different types of cookies. Maybe I can´t really say we, yes, I tried to help, but I´m not sure that did I do more harm than good :-) But it was fun. And my wife said that that´s not all, not even close, more cookies are coming before Christmas. Today evening we tasted some of those cookies with mulled wine, in Switzerland you would say, Glühwein.


Some winter decorations in our livingroom.
-
22. November 2015

Cookies
-
29. November 2015

Table decoration with Advent candles
-
29. November 2015

Table decoration
-
29. November 2015

Glühwein
-
29. November 2015


For me, Advent tells also that Christmas is coming soon, and that means in our family, like in many other families, Christmas presents. And that´s always hard for me, what should I give to my wife ? Of course nothing too expensive, but it should be also something useful. I can´t buy clothes, I´m very bad in that, I can´t even buy clothes for myself, so how could I buy clothes for someone else ? I can´t give jewels, because I´m also bad to choose something like that. Once I really nailed it with jewels, when I bought to my wife a pair of earrings and a necklace from Finland and they were also made in Finland, she´s wearing those a lot, so I think she likes them. But that was a lucky shot. I could maybe ask some hints of my wife´s sister, but I think that´s kind of cheating. I could easily give something like electronics stuff, gadgets etc. but my wife is not so interested about that. And it´s really not helping if my wife is all the time saying, that she doesn´t need anything... Luckily I found something small and nice from the Zürich airport few days ago, but even if my wife won´t read my blog, I can´t tell you yet what it was. But still I would like to give something else. I´m taking a German language school in Luzern twice a week, and there is lot´s of nice shops, I think I will find something from there. Few weeks ago I saw something very nice behind the window of a small shop, but I was too slow to decide, because now it´s not there anymore, I think it was kind of a unique piece, and that was the only one :-( But I won´t give up yet, I still have time. Tomorrow i will go again to Luzern, and I will find something !

.
.
.
.
.