Monday 30 November 2015

My first Christmas present of 2015



Grüezi mitenand !


Today in the morning, not the Santa Claus but UPS delivered my first Christmas present 2015. It's from me to myself : -)
For a long time I've been looking for a small laptop. I'm not an Apple guy, so I didn´t want to buy a Macbook Pro or something like that. I know that Macbook Pro is really good, but also one reason not to buy, is that I already have a lots of expensive programs for Windows, like Photoshop, Lightroom, Office etc. And another, more important reason is that my wife won't let me buy an Apple products : -)



My old computer, 15" HP Envy dv6 is about three years old, and it's still working very good, and I like windows 10. There´s a few reasons for an update. One problem along with big size and heavy weight is only less than two hours of battery life. To me in my situation now, when I'm sitting a lot of my time in trains and buses, i need something more compact. It have to be small and light, but it also have to be powerful enough that it can handle big graphic files in Photoshop and picture editing with Lightroom should run without lagging. I also like sharp screens with big resolution, and I'm a big fan of touchscreens. At home when I'm working with large graphic files, I'm using my 24" screen for that.
I was waiting for Microsoft's new models Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book, specs are great but I think that Surface Pro 4 is not so good to use in my lap, and the price of a Surface Book rised too high for my budget. After many days searching and comparing, I finally choosed DELL XPS13. It has everything I need and it also looks very good :-). I choosed a model with 13.3" QHD touch display and i7 prosessor. I know that with these specs battery life is getting shorter, but that will be still double, or even triple comparing to my old laptop. Actually in many trains in Switzerland, they have power plugs which you can use while you are travelling. But for me a small size and light weight (and how it looks) are the most important specs. Also with these specs price is getting higher, but i´m sure that now I have a computer for many years.
Time will tell how it's working in my use, and later I will post some info of that. It's always nice to have a new gadgets, I can't wait to open the package and start the computer up, but sadly I don't have time for that now, because I have to go to a German language school and first I have to do some homework.


Bis später